Monday, April 15, 2013

Vanilla Protein Pancakes with Blueberry Compote


I like to think that our reformed eating habits don't have to keep us from enjoying the foods we love, but let's face it... often the things that are truly, mind-blowingly delicious are not so good for you. I'm totally picturing this muffin tin cookie thing I keep seeing people post on FB that is something like a pregnant chocolate chip cookie meets brownie. I say pregnant because somehow they managed to squeeze an Oreo cookie in the middle of this thing. Yes, I want to lick my phone when I see that picture.

When I was pregnant with my youngest we ate at Village Inn a lot. By "a lot" I mean the hostess didn't even have to ask how many in our party or if we wanted a table or booth...two waters and a chocolate milk, coming up. I mean, A LOT. I was trying to make good food choices, but you know what tastes really amazing with an egg white omelet and a side of fruit? Pancakes! I still want pancakes, like everyday. But I keep it to a weekend treat for the most part. Substitution is the key to keeping me sane.

This new recipe includes protein powder and I thought they were really good. There is no reason you couldn't top these with real maple syrup, but this blueberry compote was way better in my opinion.

I used our electric griddle this morning. I like to do it that way so we can all sit down to eat together. So if you have one, get it out and set it to 300 degrees. If not, a pan over medium heat works too. Just don't get it too hot. Also these are best served ASAP after you cook them. I was picking the scraps off my kid's plates...and shocker...just not as good cold. This recipe makes about a dozen 4in pancakes, which fed our family of two big eaters and two small eaters perfectly. A four-inch pancake sounds small, but they are filling. And since it's the weekend, you are making (turkey) sausage too, so you'll be fine.

First, get your compote started. Combine blueberries, agave and water in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil for a minute or three. Who's counting? Then take a spoon and mash most of the berries. Then just reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until your pancakes are ready.

In a blender combined all the ingredients and blend until smooth. It will be thick. Spray the griddle with non-stick spray or melt a tiny bit of coconut oil and grease the surface. Then ladle the batter out of the blender and let cook until bubbles form. When they are nice and brown, flip'em, stack'em, cover'em with compote and chow down! Yum!
Step 1:
Step 2:
Step 3:
Step 4:



I also added a tablespoon of PB2 with cinnamon to the top of these. It was so good! If you don't have PB2 (get some) but any nut butter will be tasty.

Recipe for Compote:
1c fresh blueberries
1 tbsp agave (or honey)
3 tbsp water
(Optional 2 tbsp PB2, 1 tbsp water, a few shakes of cinnamon)

Recipe for pancakes:
1 c old fashioned oats
2 scoops vanilla protein powder
2 eggs
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/2 c plain non fat Greek yogurt
2 tbsp vanilla almond milk (or other milk)

I couldn't resist...Her is our daughter's favorite version:
The Piggy Pancake

No comments:

Post a Comment