Tuesday, July 23, 2013

The answer to my Junior Mint addiction: Choco-Mint Mini Truffles


When I decided to get more serious about being healthy and eating clean I knew there would be things I would miss. And by things, I mean junk food. If you had looked in my freezer a year ago there would have undoubtedly been a stash of Junior Mints or Peppermint Patties. I love those cold, minty little treasures. Even now when I think about them, I want one...er, some, or a movie theater-size box.

Something had to be done, so I set out to fill the void in my heart left by those little babies. I came up with this concoction by starting with the regular base for my energy bars and put a chocolate/ mint spin on it. This recipe is rather small because **CONFESSION** last time I made these I ate the entire batch in one sitting. I think it would be fine to double it, but be warned: These are addictive. As it stands, this recipe makes about 15-20 mini-truffles about the diameter of a nickel.

Start by combining all the ingredients, except the water and peppermint extract in a food processor. **Note** Do not forget to pit your dates. Pulse the ingredients to combine for about 10 seconds at a time for a total of 30 or 40 seconds.  As the ingredients come together, it will be powdery. Next add the water and extract and continue pulsing. The mixture will begin to come together and get more sticky.

After the almonds are finely chopped enough for your liking, remove the lid and blade from your food processor and dump the contents into a bowl and chill for 5-10 minutes. After the mix has chilled, roll the dough into balls about the diameter of a nickle and return the mini truffles to the fridge for 5 minutes.

Melt the dark chocolate chips in a glass dish in the microwave for about 20 seconds, stir and continue heating if needed.

Lastly dip the bottom half of each truffle into the dark chocolate and allow to harden. Store in the fridge in a ziploc or tupperware.

Now...restrain yourself from eating all of them...or don't. I don't judge.

Recipe:
6 Madjool Dates, pitted
1/2c almonds
1/4c old fashioned oats
1/4c ground flax
1/8c unsweetened cocoa
2 packets of stevia
1/2tsp pure peppermint extract
1/8c water
2tbsp dark chocolate chips, melted

2 comments:

  1. thank's for your information and i really like your post

    ReplyDelete